Tuesday, August 30, 2011

One Slightly Odd Sunday in Africa

A new adventure in Malawi:

Elizabeth's purse is stolen at lunch. We were upset. Our friends suggest we pray.

We prayed.

After Elizabeth canceled all her credit cards by skype, a friend calls. Her name is Amanda, the first name on Elizabeth's phone. The central police station called Amanda saying that Elizabeth's purse had been recovered. We celebrate, but know that the $100 cash is gone, but hope the credit cards and license are still there.

We get to the station, and see the purse on the desk. The police woman says it was found in the bathroom with a note inside saying it was "found" at the restaurant where it was stolen.

No cell phone, but the credit cards and license are there.

I call the cell phone. A man answers. I say that we're at the police station. He answers that the purse is in the bathroom. He says that we will find her car keys, her documents, "and everything."

Now I know who put it in the bathroom, the guy who answered my wife's phone.

I ask, "OK, can we have the phone back, too, please?" I actually said "please" to a thief.

He answers, slowly, "OK" then CLICK.

So I sent the guy a text, to my wife's phone, "Thanks for returning the purse. We will pray for you to stop sinning. We forgive you. God loves you."

I couldn't fit in one text, " I'm glad you have half a conscience, but I hope you regrow the lost half, because if you aren't careful you will lose both halves permanently."

We go back to the scene of the crime, a longer story, and just for the heck of it I call the phone, hoping to hear a guilty cell phone, but since this is not a movie, the cell phone is turned off and no guilty ring.


T I A this is Africa

No comments: