Thursday, February 4, 2010

Both Hands Tied Behind Our Backs

Professionally, I’m having a blast. I’m at the government hospital in the capital, Lilongwe, which makes Wishard look like Clarian North.

We had two kids die of rabies last week. One of the kids was bitten on Christmas Day. It was a 1/4 inch lesion on the thumb. The parents took the kid to the health center, but it was closed on Christmas day. Since Christmas was on a Friday, by Monday they thought, “It looks OK,” so didn’t take him back. He didn’t start the post bite vaccines at all and died a month later. He had hyperreflexia followed by hyporeflexia, progressive paralysis, and myoedema. The other kid, 12 y/o, had the foaming at the mouth. I’ve now seen four cases of rabies in six years: 2 in Malawi, 2 in Ecuador.

You can ask, “Why didn’t we use the Milwaukee protocol (induce a coma for 3 weeks)?” We didn’t even think about it because there are only three ventilators in the hospital, and only one can handle kids. It’s not right to use such a limited resource for a kid who has a 0.01% chance of living, even after a month long induced coma. There are also only 3 working dialysis machines in the country, all at the hospital where I'm working.

I’ve been a doc for 17 years and only encountered Burkitt’s lymphoma on board exams. In one hour I saw 15 kids with Burkitt’s lymphoma. A General Practice doctor from Nigeria has an interest in Burkitt’s & pediatric cancers, so he does the Burkitt’s kids. (Burkitt's lymphoma has mortality anywhere from 5-30%, depending on the stage when diagnosed and whether they relapse after chemotherapy.)

I took a sample of peritoneal fluid to the lab on January 3rd. Since I couldn’t find a lab tech anywhere in the lab, I put the sample down on the counter, right next to a sample of peritoneal from the SAME patient dated December 31st. It had been sitting on the counter for 4 days, untouched by human hands. All the crud growing in the test tube wasn’t so much of an issue because we can’t do cultures here. You are lucky to get a cell count, glucose and protein. My issue was that I had done all I could for the patient and if no one could do even five minutes of work over four days to help another human being, and the systems were so nonexistent that labs samples can go untouched for four days, there wasn’t anything else I could do. So, I just got in my car and drove home.

I did come back the next day. (That’s the difference between being fed up and giving up.)

Mind you, this is the free labor I’m doing in the government hospital to get my medical license. Tomorrow is my last day. Not that I’m counting, (20 hours).

Next week I start at Partners in Hope. It’s not a perfect place, and it has similar problems with motivated staff, but we can fire people who don’t do their work, pray with our patients and at least know that most everyone at the hospital cares about the patient.

This is getting long and might look depressing, but since most of the patients get better and go home, and we actually can make a huge difference. “We had both hands tied behind our back and STILL saved the patient.”

Three factoids before I quit.
1. There are three residency trained pediatricians in a country of 14 million, two here in Lilongwe and one at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Blantyre.
2. Every day at morning report on the pediatrics ward they discuss the admissions and the deaths. There are 3 – 9 deaths per day. That’s one death every 3 to 8 hours. (In the US, if a child dies in the hospital, the whole building goes into mourning.)
3. No one can get reliable data about admissions and deaths, but the estimate is that the mortality rate is 9.1% of all pediatric admissions, down from 9.6% last year.

2 comments:

antar37 said...

What a different world. It must be crazy to deal with all different kinds of diseases, and find some people completely indifferent, even though a few minutes of work can save lives. Thanks for the update. I'm praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your blog.

marcos