Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year everyone, Happy New Decade!



This year started in a cold Midwest winter and ended in the warm heart of Africa. We have just moved into a “permanent” house here and it’s already feeling a bit like home. Home for me is not really a place. I’ve lived in eight countries and five states. The longest I’ve lived any where is eight years (five of them while I was in college). Home for me is a feeling, a feeling of comfort and security. I feel it most with family and with friends that have lasted over several moves. I feel it in prayer sometimes. I begin feeling it after about six months in a new place. Still, sometimes no matter how long I’ve been somewhere, there is a longing for “home”, whatever and wherever that is. We Christians are fond of saying that our home is in Heaven, so maybe that’s as things should be.

We wish everyone a sense of home in this New Year, and praying that Malawi would indeed become home for us this year.

2 comments:

Rachel's Rhythm said...

Happy New Year! Glad to hear you are starting to feel a sense of "home" in Africa. God bless!

Rachel Liu said...

This is Miss Liu, Happy New Year!
Girls are growing up!