Saturday, October 17, 2009


We are feeling more and more "at home" here every day. We found a house that we hope we can rent, and we went to an auction yesterday and bought a few pieces of used furniture. The whole experience was a hoot. It was just one body press of people as we moved from one item to another crowding around the auctioneer. Everyone shouted in Chichewa and pretty much bid everything up sky high. I bid on several things without getting them. After a while I heard the people saying this and that about the azungu (white person), and finally when I was about to give up on another bid, this guy said I'll give you another thousand Kwacha to just bid again, so I did, and I won this old desk, and everyone cheered (although I never did get the promised 1000 Kwacha (about $7). It was exhausting and I got sunburned, but it was fun. I don’t think it was anything like Christies.

No comments: